Dr. Cristian Vilos is a Faculty Member of the Center for Integrative Medicine and Innovative Science (CIMIS) at the Faculty of Medicine, and also is a Principal Investigator at the Center for Bioinformatics and Integrative Biology (CBIB) in the Faculty of Biological Sciences at Andres Bello University. Dr. Vilos did his undergraduate studies in Medical Technology at the University of Talca, and later did his Ph.D. in Biotechnology at the University of Santiago in Chile, where started to work in drug delivery systems based on biodegradable and biocompatible polymers.
Dr. Vilos was Visiting Professor and Postdoctoral Fellow at the Laboratory of Nanomedicine and Biomaterials at Department of Anesthesia at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) and Harvard Medical School (HMS). He also was a member of Langer Lab at David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) between 2013-2015.
Currently, Dr. Vilos is focused on the development of combined drug therapy based polymeric nanoparticles for colorectal cancer, advanced nanotherapies for chronic pain, as well as, the study of fundamentals of nano-bio interactions in the physiological environment. More at www.viloslab.com
Lines of research
- Polymeric Nanoparticles as Therapeutic Platforms
- Drug Delivery based on Microparticles Technology
- Novel Biomaterials for Nanotherapeutics
- Chapter 10: Stimuli-Responsive Nanotheranostics. Basit Yameen, Jun Wu, Cristian Vilos, Andrew Whyte, David Werstler, Lori Pollit , Omid C. Farokhzad. Nanotheranostics for Personalized Medicine: 267-296. World Scientific, 2016.
- Constandil L., Ibarra P., Vilos C., Veláquez L., Pelissier T., Laurido C., Hernández A. Nanoparticles With Biodegradable and Biocompatible Polymer PLGA, Loaded With the Drug for Human Use Pentoxifylline. Publication number: WO2014075203 A8 – PCT number: PCT/CL2013/000084 – Also published as: WO2014075203A8.
- Shi J., Zeyu X., Votruba A., Vilos C., Farokhzad O. Lipid-polymer hybrid particles. Publication number: US20130315831 A1 – Application number: US 13/820,351 – PCT number: PCT/US2011/050334 – Also published as: WO2012031205A2, WO2012031205A3.
- Vilos C., Velásquez L. A., Orihuela P., Rios M. Injectable veterinary composition for sustained release of ceftiofur and florfenicol in animal species, which comprises poly(lacticcoglycolic acid) (plga) microparticles, and the method for the preparation thereof. Publication number: WO2013071456 A3 – Application number: PCT/CL2012/000066 – Also published as: WO2013071456A2.
Vilos C., Velásquez LA., Constandil L., Rios M. Injectable veterinary composition for controlled, sustained release of ceftiofur and florfenicol in animal species, based on polyhydroxybutyrate hydroxyvalerate (phbv) microparticles. Publication number: WO2013071457 A1 – Application number: PCT/CL2012/000067 – Also published as WO2013071457A4.
Funding | Current Research Support
FONDECYT Regular #1161438 (2016–2018), [Principal Investigator]
UNAB Regular, DI-695-15/R (2015–2016), [Principal Investigator]
Basal Grant FB0807, (NanoBioMedicine L6) CEDENNA – CONICYT (2015 – 2019), [Young Research]